Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter Love Poem

Photos from Galicia, northern Spain
My love read this poem aloud to me before writing his blog entry on our cross collection along the   stairway between the first and second floor of our townhouse. It seems especially appropriate this week as we celebrate the stations of the cross, death and resurrection of our Lord. Often we are stoic before so many things in life, so what is it that moves us? What really touches the core of who we are and makes us stop and reflect? Here's what this sixteenth century Spanish priest of Jewish ancestry wrote about what moved him and why.

Mi amor me leyó este poema en voz alta antes de escribir una entrada en su blog acerca de nuestra colección de cruces entre el primera y el segundo piso de nuestra casa. Parece especialmente apropiado esta semana mientras celebramos la pasión, la muerte y resurrección de nuestro Señor.  Muchas veces somos estoicos ante tantas cosas en la vida, así ¿qué es lo que realmente nos mueve? ¿Qué es lo que nos toca el centro de nuestro ser y nos para a reflexionar? Aquí es lo que este sacerdote español del siglo dieciséis de origen judío escribió acerca de lo que le movía y por qué.

No me mueve, mi Dios, para quererte
el cielo que me tienes prometido,
ni me mueve el infierno tan temido
para dejar por eso de ofenderte.

Tú me mueves, Señor, muéveme el verte
clavado en una cruz y escarnecido,
muéveme ver tu cuerpo tan herido,
muévenme tus afrentas y tu muerte. 

Muéveme, en fin, tu amor, y en tal manera,
que aunque no hubiera cielo, yo te amara,
y aunque no hubiera infierno, te temiera. 

No me tienes que dar porque te quiera,
pues aunque lo que espero no esperara,
lo mismo que te quiero te quisiera.

I am not moved to love Thee, O my Lord,
    By any longing for Thy Promised Land;
    Nor by the fear of hell am I unmanned
To cease from my transgressing deed or word.

Tis Thou Thyself dost move me,—Thy blood poured
    Upon the cross from nailed foot and hand;
    And all the wounds that did Thy body brand;
And all Thy shame and bitter death's award.

Yea, to Thy heart am I so deeply stirred
    That I would love Thee were no heaven on high,—
That I would fear, were hell a tale absurd!

Such my desire, all questioning grows vain;
    Though hope deny me hope I still should sigh,
And as ray love is now, it should remain.

-Saint John of Ávila -

Thomas Walsh (translator)
From: Hispanic Anthology: Poems Translated from the Spanish by English and North American Poets, collected and arranged by Thomas Walsh. G. P. Putnam's Sons, New York, 1920


Photos taken in Galicia, Spain on our visit to Santiago de Compostela, March 2012

2 comments:

  1. Conozco esos lugares, son de Muxia en la llamada Costa de la Muerte, un lugar realmente especial que disfruté hace no mucho, me alegra verlos en tu blog y que ambos los hayáis disfrutado también. Un abrazo amigos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mary, tears in my eyes....just lovely.

    ReplyDelete