Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Flat Caps and Immigrants


"Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists."- FDR.
Seven centuries ago the Flat Cap originated in Ireland and spread universally throughout Europe, crossing the ocean to America four hundred years later on immigrants' heads bearing almost as many names as the men who wore them. My year long admiration of this versatile Old World cap in Italy and back at home in Spain didn't change my traditional gentleman's mind. "That cap is for old men", he'd tell me. "Do you think I'm an old man, a hick?, with feigned offense. There didn't seem to be a chance I'd ever convince him of his need for such practical good looks. Then, last Tuesday, on market day, he grinned a teasing smile and asked me to pick out my favourite tweed. Loving this immigrant cap on my old-fashioned chap.
#immigrants #FlatCap #newsboycap #peakyblinders #gorra #newsy #ChizHat#fishermanscap #OliverTwist #EightPiece #sombrereria #banditcap #tweed #motorcarapparel #dockworkers #highsteelworkers #beggars #bandits #ItalianScots #JayGatsby #AppleJackHat #PoorBoy #Irish #tradesmen #artists #oldworld #shipwrights #farmers

No comments:

Post a Comment