Friday, March 9, 2012

La Cabaña del Árbol


Beginning the construction of the tree fort during the day, Sacramento, California.
It's late Friday, one of my last nights here before flying back to Spain, and I am inching my way up several feet the of tall ash tree where my boys and a friend have decided to sleep in the fort they’ve made amidst the high branches. It's possible that the choir of frogs and toads may not have masked my steps that I imagined to be stealthy and silent, but their loud croaking is all I can hear. So, why wouldn’t I be just like the Indian maiden in leather mocassins treading lightly so as to surprise her prey? My prey being these teenage boys! Nonetheless, now that I’m in the tree, I mean really UP the tree, I am reminded that I’m really a middle-aged mother, ok 50 to be exact, who has had the bright idea of scaling a tree by clutching dubious handholds and stepping on wiggly nailed boards. I pause, controlling my breath to see if I hear theirs; a whisper, pieces of clandestine conversation. . .  but nothing. . 
Maybe they spotted me or my long shadow over the grass. Maybe they’re about to burst into laughter at my devious plan.
Do I climb up any further? Now my right arm is roped around a hight branch and I’m dangling a bit. But, I really want to peak up into the first level where I see part of a sleeping bag hang over. Hmmm,  what to do?
I finally decide over the next few minutes that I will have to scare them with very ferocious deep-throated animal sounds. I growl rumbly low growls. But, no response.  Trying to sound more convincing, I growl more and make even louder, more obvious scary animal sounds. No response. So, I finally give it my ALL, my worst and scariest, very, very loud growls and screeches and terrifying animal sounds. 
Still, no response. Not a sound. Not a “Holy Heck!!!!!”, or something equivalent, if you know what I mean, that might give sign of a successful mission. 
I can’t believe it! Shaking off this state of disbelief, I inch back down the tree, feeling much heavier that when I climbed up, and am relieved when my left foot finally touches the damp ground. Looking around I notice, hey! there are figures in the distant kitchen window that appear to be, and yes, in fact, ARE those boys that I thought were sleeping in the tree!  

Viernes, una de mis últimas noches aquí antes de volar de regreso a España. Estoy ascendiendo muy lentamente, centímetro a centímetro, varios metros de fresno, donde mis hijos y un amigo han decidido dormir en la fortaleza que han hecho en medio de las ramas más altas. El coro de sapos y ranas, no puede haber ocultado mis pasos que imaginaba sigilosos y silenciosos, pero su fuerte croar es todo lo que puedo oír. Así que, ¿por qué no sería yo una joven india en mocasines de cuero pisando ligeramente a fin de sorprender a su presa, siendo la presa estos adolescentes? Sin embargo, ahora que estoy en el árbol, y digo realmente EN LO ALTO del árbol, me acuerdo de que lo que soy de verdad es una madre de mediana edad, de 50 años para ser exacto, que ha tenido la brillante idea de escalar un árbol, agarrándose a asideros dudosos y pisando oscilantes tablas malamente clavadas. Hago una pausa, controlo mi respiración para ver si oigo la suya, o un susurro, o retazos de una conversación clandestina... pero nada. 
Tal vez me han pillado, vieron mi larga sombra sobre la hierba. Tal vez están a punto de estallar en risas por mi siniestro plan.
¿Debería subir más? Ahora mi brazo derecho está enlazado en torno a una rama alta y estoy balanceándome un poco. Pero, realmente quiero alcanzar a asomarme al primer nivel donde veo parte de un saco de dormir colgando. ¡Hmmm! ¿qué hacer? Finalmente, decido en unos minutos que tendré que asustarlos con sonidos de animales muy feroces. Gruño graves gruñidos desde el fondo de mi garganta. Pero no hay respuesta. Trato de sonar más convincente, gruño más y hago sonidos obviamente aún más fuertes y aterradores. No hay respuesta.  Así que, finalmente, doy todo de mí, mis peores y más temibles, muy, muy fuertes rugidos, chillidos y aterradores feroces sonidos. 
Sin embargo, no hay respuesta.  Ni un sonido. Ni un “¡qué diablos!” o algo equivalente, si sabes lo que quiero decir, que podría ser una señal del éxito de mi misión. 
¡No me lo puedo creer! Sacudiéndome este estado de incredulidad, desciendo del árbol palmo a palmo, sintiéndome mucho más pesada que cuando subí, y siento un alivio cuando por fin mi pie izquierdo toca el suelo húmedo. Mirando a mi alrededor me doy cuenta, ¡eh! hay figuras en la lejana ventana de la cocina que parecen ser, y sí, de hecho son, ¡esos muchachos que pensaba yo que estarían durmiendo en el árbol! 

2 comments:

  1. Parece que una casa en un árbol es más interesante, atrayente y divertida para algunos o algunas madres que para los propios hijos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and so get it! There is this old lady who follows me around the house. Don't know where she comes from, but think I'll keep her around.

    ReplyDelete