Thursday, September 4, 2014

One Year Younger and Living Passionately


Mom, today as we celebrate your birth, one of my all-time favorite authors popped up on TEDx to talk about aging, or better said, about living. Isabel Allende, is the author of the first book, De Amor y De Sombra, that caused me to clutch my youthful chest and sigh romantic sighs. After devouring Of Love and Shadows I vowed to practice Spanish ever more fervently and read, in Spanish, The House of the Spirits and Eva Luna and every other Allende book since. Love in Spanish sounded to me like an entirely other world. In a Berkeley Auditorium some years later I had the privilege of listening to her speak in person. Her talk then concentrated on literary style, specifically her own unique form of Magical Realism. But, it's this simple talk today, How To Live Passionately - No Matter Your Age, that has made me smile and nod the most, appreciating the journey.

Mamá, hoy al celebrar tu nacimiento, uno de mis autores favoritos de todos los tiempos apareció en TEDx para hablar del envejecimiento, o mejor dicho, acerca del vivir. Isabel Allende, es la autora del primer libro, De Amor y de Sombra, que agarré a mi pecho juvenil suspirando suspiros románticos. Después de devorar De Amor y de Sombra me juré practicar español cada vez más fervientemente y leer, en español, La casa de los Espíritus y Eva Luna y todos los otros libros de Allende desde entonces. El amor en español me sonaba completamente de otro mundo. En un Auditorio de Berkeley algunos años más tarde tuve el privilegio de escucharla hablar en persona. Su discurso se centró entonces en el estilo literario, específicamente en su propia forma única de Realismo Mágico. Pero, es esta simple charla de hoy, Cómo Vivir Apasionadamente - No Importa la Edad, la que más me ha hecho sonreír y asentir, valorando tu viaje.

Allende asks, “So what have I lost in the last decades? People, places and the boundless energy of my youth. I’m starting to lose independence and that scares me ... 
But there is also much that I have gained. Freedom. I don’t have to prove anything anymore. I’m not stuck in the idea of who I am, or who I should be … I feel lighter. I do not carry grudges, ambition, vanity, or any of the deadly sins that aren’t even worth it. It’s great to let go—I should have started sooner.”

Allende se pregunta: "Entonces, ¿qué es lo que he perdido en las últimas décadas? La gente, los lugares y la energía ilimitada de mi juventud. Estoy empezando a perder la independencia y eso me asusta...
Pero también es mucho lo que he ganado. Libertad. Yo no tengo que demostrar nada más. No estoy atrapada en la idea de lo que soy, o lo que debería ser... Me siento más ligera. No llevo rencor, ambición, vanidad, o cualquiera de los pecados capitales que ni siquiera valen la pena. Es muy bueno dejarlos -debería haber comenzado antes."

To the one who has said many of those same things to me, who has loved and mentored and infused so much wisdom into the lives of her children.  I love you endlessly.
Happy Birthday, Mom!

Para la que me ha dicho muchas de esas mismas cosas a mí, la que ha amado y guiado e infundido tanta sabiduría en la vida de sus hijos. Te amo infinitamente.
¡Feliz cumpleaños, mamá!




1 comment:

  1. Thank you, my Mary, my beautiful first born. My words cannot fully convey how much I appreciate you, respect you, and am amazed by who you, because of your goodness and faithfulness, have become. Nor can my words ever fully express how very much I love you. You are a treasure and wonderful blessing from our great and loving God! The Lord bless you always. Mom

    ReplyDelete